Monday, February 19, 2007

hyperreality on Youtube

So my favorite concept related to post-modernity is hyperreality:

"Hyperreality is significant as a paradigm to explain the American cultural condition. Consumerism, because of its reliance on sign exchange value (e.g. brand X shows that one is fashionable, car Y indicates one's wealth), could be seen as a contributing factor in the creation of hyperreality or the hyperreal condition. Hyperreality tricks the consciousness into detaching from any real emotional engagement, instead opting for artificial simulation, and endless reproductions of fundamentally empty appearance. Essentially, (although Baudrillard himself would perhaps balk at the usage of this word) fulfillment or happiness is found through simulation and imitation of a transient simulacrum of reality, rather than any interaction with any "real" reality." -From Wikipedia Hyperreality.

I'm bringing this up because well, I find myself encountering hyperreality on a regular basis online (in fact, I first encountered postmodernism in general when doing research on internet-related philoisophy about 5 months ago: the term "hyperreality" came up in a JSTOR search and the rest is history). Story time.

So everyone remember that shitty "Man of the Year" issue time released last year, where it turned out to be "YOU."? Well, in one of the articles on Youtube it mentioned the SNL digital short "Lazy Sunday." At work about a week ago I let slip that I hadn't seen it. Apalled, one of my co-workers demanded that we find it on Youtube. Little did he know, I tried that and it has been absolutely BURIED under imitations and parodies. I brought up hyperreality, and my friend commented, "This is the most post-modern thing that has ever happened to me." After a while he found it posted on a blog somewhere under a different title, a title I certainly would never have guessed having not seen the video. I challenge you to find it. Seriously, poke around; it's not as easy as it sounds.

For a different hyperreal experience, check out these videos in sequence.

Citi Bank Identity theft commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGPBRXKuoMc

Youtube Identity theft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCDccnwgJdY&mode=related&search=

Re: Youtube Identity theft (1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTor_JGxIHc&mode=related&search=

Re: Youtube Identity theft (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Wc7e0QYKo&mode=related&search=

The same thing happens to every video posted online.

>>EDIT: I decided this waws as good a post as any to link to GAM3R 7H30RY http://www.futureofthebook.org/gamertheory/ . It's a book/forum sorta. This Media Studies professor at New School is offering up a full draft of his upcoming book for public viewing and commenting. It's an interesting idea, an open source review. The book is an application of critical theory to video games. Check it out. Also, if you're interested, there's an interview of the author on This Spartan Life (I think it may even be the video I linked to in the TSL post).

No comments: