Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Fourth Reich


At long last, the Suites Around The World party has returned!!!! SATW is one of the only annual parties (non-music oriented) at Pitzer It never even happened last year, which was my first year living in the dorm that hosts it, so I'm super stoked to announce that this thursday night Mead LY230 will be transformed into an alcoholic caricature of Germnay!

Countries to be represented by other suites are Japan, Mount Olympus, USA (The RA's sub free party because America is lame I guess), and Italy.

The plan:

1) Acquire good German beer with the school's money.
2) Acquire something resembling german food (sausages? it's gotta be cheap to keep the money on beer)
3) Ship the freshman off to Harvey Mudd
4) Find some German music. nominees: Kraftwerk, Rammstein (at the least Du hast), 99 red ballons by whoever that was, Generic traditional Oompah-pah (sp?), bad techno...whatever I can get my hands on.
5) Invade Poland
6) Atmosphere. The more seriously we take this party the better it will be. I'm not just talking about music, that had it's own step in the master plan of the fourth reich. I'm talking about decorations, costumese even! it's imperative that we turn this place into a wierd avant-garde discotheque or a bavarian beer hall, or maybe some overlap of those two entirely different scenes.
The bar has been set.


My freshman year, the suite below where I currently live (I think) was Germany for SATW. They ran out of beer kinda quick and had to send someone off to make a run which was kinda lame, but honestly I think it was the best suite that year. Why? they took themselves absolutely seriously. Every member of the suite was dressed in black, spoke with bad but hilarious German accents (meine beer is warm!), they played bad techno all night and danced nothing but awkward-robot...it was a blast.

Their performances made the party.

This year Mead (allegedly) has more money to allocate to the party than it has in the past, and it sounds like there will be less countries than there have been in the past, a formula that equals lots of beer money. I'm looking forward to having an ample supply of good stuff, but I don't want the party to just get dissolved in alcohol. I want to keep the tradition alive. Suites that only use their drinks to represent their country tend to fail at this party: it's all about commitment.

This is my last year, so this is probably going to be the last big party I host in college. I want it to be epic. I want the freshmen this year to remember how awesome this party turned out the way I still remember the seniors who did Germany back when I was a frosh.


No comments: