Friday, January 26, 2007

Blogging community?

So recently I discovered my friend kevin has a blog on blogger, and wanted to see if I could somehow "friend" him like facebook/livejournal/myspace style, and quickly realized I just didn't know how. So then I decided I'd check out other people's blogs to see if that might enlighten me. I was flippin through the "next Blog" link blogger offers, and I notcied no one's blogs had any list of friends or subscribed blogs, and that most comments on blogs were either straight up spam, or were to the tune of "nice blog, come check out mine www.blahblhablha.com!"

Blogger is not what I expected. It's like we're all sitting on our own little islands, screaming our thoughts into the atmosphere, competing to be noticed by the birds. Not being able to link directly to other's blogs seems like a pretty big roadblock to forming social connections with others on the network. I've already started this blog, so I'm gonna try to stick with it, but maybe this site's not for me.

Seems like a lonely way to blog.

2 comments:

Pyry Matikainen said...

You can link to other blogs, there just isn't any specific mechanism dedicated solely to doing so. In the layout manager you can add an element to your blog that will appear as a list of links; you could link to other blogs there (see the blogger help for help on how to add layout elements and so forth).

Also, why is my name not properly capitalized in the "pyry matikaine said..." title of this comment?

Ben said...

I agree that the difficulty in freinding people over Blogger creates a very independent atmosphere. It is interesting that so many people prefer this type of blogging as compared to sites such as facebook.