Thursday, July 12, 2007

enter brazil

I just got back from watching "Shrek Terceiro (Dublado)," if the title of the post wasn't hint enough as to where i'm at. Turns out my uncle/cousin has high speed at his house, so it's no big deal for me to go online, so y'all (whomever my readership may be) well get plenty of updates on this trip.

As soona s i get a hold of a digital camera i'll put up some pictuers of my place. I'm living in this little apartment behind the main house, which totally rocks. Got my own bathroom, hardwood floors, a dresser jsut big enough to hold all my clothes, and even my own tv! the tv doesn't have an antenna or cable or anything, but that's no problem because the media player dealie I brought (archos 504) hooks up to the tv fine. i've even got my external harddrive plugged in!

so i'm pretty well set up right now. Only problem is, where are all the younhg people at? everyone in my family is much older than me, so i can't really go by the friend-of-a-friend route, and SP isn't exactly a young peoples city, so i'm having trouble finding hangouts. Hopefully my cousin flavia will be able to show me aroudn to some of the hipper spots. if all else fails all jsut start hanging around local universities or something....nothing's really close to the house though, just this big ass shopping center.

oh guess what i discoverd today?? none of the bank machines aroudn here accept my atm card!!! YAY!!!! so yeah, that's a bit of a problem...i mean, credit is cool and all, but i need to have some access to cash. i guess i'll just need to wire some money down and open up a bank account locally.

whatever, i'm more concerned about meeting people than finding money.

speaking of money, here's the current job situation: I've got an interview lined up with this one school, but I'm going to be travelling for the first week of school, so that might cause a problem. From what I understand, they need teachers however they can get em, so maybe my travel plans won't be such a big deal. My friend Ben is coming down to travel with me (arrives tomorrow, bitches!) so i can't really cut the travel plans out or he'll kill me dead. Also, I might have a job as a more private english teacher for business professionals, which will probably pay better but i mgith need to arrange some form of transportation for that gig. One cool thing about the 2nd gig: don't need to figure out what my CPF is (brazilian equiv of SSN). red tape can't stop me.

so to summarize: cool house, need a job, can't find people my age. Of course, this is only day #2 in the country (and last night i went to see a show featurign the Rio de Janeiro orchestra..not the youngest crowd. lots of family though!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dave i'm so excited for you! you will find young people soon enough... you will say a few words of portugese and people will be wooed :-) stay at it and i know you'll go far. <3 laura

Anonymous said...

ps laura c, the cooler laura. just playin allen :-)

Blair said...

Just start asking people. Grocery clerks, taxi drivers, you'll find out where to go.

And apparently I have a blog. According to this website. This is confusing. I must investigate.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear the house worked out well for you. Are you worried about the money situation? It's sweet that you don't have to worry about the government paperwork before you can cash in that job opportunity. I'm sure you are going to have an amazing time no matter what.

I start rocks & ropes certification training Monday, and I've been practicing my knots, which of course reminds me of you. Have you ever actually used the Prusik for a practical purpose? It strikes me as risky, but I wanna use it.

<3 <3 The warmer Laura

Dan Phipps said...

Everybody's young when there's alcohol involved. Hit up the local watering hole and you just might find a seething hotbed of youthful underground culture!