Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Guitar Notes

The other day I spent all day wandering around Av. Teorodo Sampaio, a street where there are tons of music stores. I foudn a few guitars i liked and marked down the names of the stores. Shopping for a guitar made me realize something though: in the meantime, seeing as i'm not making enough money to justify that kind of purchase, why not borrow one?

So now I have a guitar to play!! my cousin Flavia is lending me hers, a beautiful little classic guitar with quite a history. It belonged to my André, my aunt (one of those complicated relations that i call "aunt" out of convention) Celia's son. He died....probably more than a decade ago in a car accident. If I ever met him, i'll be honest, i don't remember it. I really only know the guy through a memorial CD-rom Celia made with images and some of his music.

It's always nice to play an instrument with a little history, you know? adds personality to the instrument. I finished changing the strings last night; Flavia hadn't picked up the guitar in years. There's something meditative about the ritual of replacing guitar strings, i really enjoy it.

Time to learn some samba--and maybe eventually buy that spanish guitar I saw on Teodoro Sampaio....

having a borrowed guitar is makingme really want to have ownership of one. I want to take the guitar out, you know? go practice by the lake in pq. Ibiriapuera in between bouts of reading....

really, i'm just happy to have a guitar to fool around with again.

1 comment:

Laura said...

dave! your comment made me so happy today. unfortunetly the internet here is uber slow. reading your posts make me laugh. i miss you! sounds like staying in sp was a good choice. whether it was the best or not doesn't even matter that much; just that you are making choices on your own.

your experience is way different than mine... i have a pretty tight schedule and a place to live. don't need a job, and i don't even think i've spent $100 american dollars here yet. it sounds a lot harder for you. i highly suggest portuguese classes!

yes hindus are friendly, but not as sexually liberal as brazilians. i understand the "slut bag" stereotype. guys here are easier to talk to because... we have more in common. they have more schooling and don't stay at the home... and here, spedning time with an older guy alone is cause to label me something way more scandelous than "slut bag."

yay chocolate! i'll try and send you some dhaalbhaat! (joking) maybe a topi (traditional nepali hat) it's baller.

miss you! love, laura