Thursday, August 23, 2007

i've got to admit, it's getting better...better, all the time...

the other day i was kinda bummed because one of my favorite students told me he wouldn't be able to continue lessons. he's a lawyer who wants to get an LL.M from Columbia so he can start teaching law on the side, but he's currently in a masters program and he jsut foudn out that his 200 page masters is due in october. so i definitely respect his priorities, but hey, i need work!

In his place, i've taken on a new student, a 54yo real estate mogel who is like super rich and married to a singer named Fortuna who is famous enough taht my mom's heard of her. to squeeze him in (he wants 4 days a week, which is great for me) I had to bump my uncle out of a time slot we marked down the day after we finally scheduled his classes. so that had me pissed with myself too.

But today has been a good day. I bought 2 new books: The 6th harry potter book in english, and Paul Feyerabend - Against method in portuguese (which apparently only recently just got translated). I taught both of my newest students, 2nd lesson with one and first lesson with the guy i just mentioned. after my first lesson with guilherme (the younger kid) we traded music like crazy, which was fun.

i was really gunning to go out tonight after working a bit and taking HOURS of public transportation, but i started practicing guitar and now that i'm starting to pick up the samba beat i'm really getting into it. like, i'm in the zone you know? you can't drop the ball when you've finally got it!! i met a kid at a fejouada last weekend who would trade me samba lessons for english lessons, but he's gonna teach me percussion i think. so today i realized that, "hey, i bet i could find some good guitar lessons on youtube..." and well, let's just say i've been watching this video repeatedly over the past hour. after practicing this guy's technique, this whole samba thing seems much more doable. i can really see the beat now!!!

back to the axe.

No comments: