Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The State of the Union

Friends, Friends of friends, strangers who pass by my blog, distinguished readers. we meet here today by law and custom to consider the state of Dave's trip.

I am currently at something of a halway point. The original plan called for a five month trip, and we have recently reached the 2.5 month mark. Looking back on this trip, some of my intentions have been fulfilled, as have some of my fears.

I have spent lots of time with my family. I usual do not get to spend much time with my brazilian family, or even see them more than once every few years. this trip has provided me with an opportuntiy to get to know my family better, and even meet a few new members.

I have traveled. I have been to a variety of local beaches, a farm city in the interior and of course rio de janeiro. yet I have not traveled as often or nearly as far as I had originally planned.

I have worked. My recent pay days have resulted in a deficit of R$1152 from my agency and R$420 from one of my clients, with another R$640 expected form other clients. this equates to jsut over US$1000 spending money, rounding down deductions for food bus and cell (which has been a pretty shitty investment thus far). Hopefully, the bulk of this money will go to future travel, as that was the idea to begin with. I have recently learned that travel is more expensive than i thought, and most of the things i wanna do i should give more time to than i had planned, especailly for the price.

I have partied. I have met many cool people. but my party average has been stable at approximately one outing of note per week, far below the revelery originally planned for the trip, likewise the precedent set while Ben was in town. this problem at least can be easily remedied, and shall.

One of the fears I expressed early on was an uncertainty in my capacity to meet people without contacts my age, without taking classes, without co-workers. In the above described parties, I have met many cool locals, as planned. yet, my loneliness persists. I ahve always been comfortable in my own skin and have no problem entertaining myself on my own, but a few friends would be nice. The friends i've made seem like really cool people, but i haven't had the opportunity to hang out with anyone more than a handful of times which has been a dissapointment.

Clearly, this situation is complciated and will take some thought. there may be no solution readily available, short of befriending the homeless who do not have jobs or school to get in the way of hanging out. Not good drinking buddies though.

Mainly, what needs to be considered is the duration of the trip. The big question is, am i erally at a halfway point? i want to build stronger relationships. i want more money for travel. I want to travel more. I could do all of these thigns if i commit more time to this adventure.

the more time i spend in brazil though, the less time i ahve to spend elsewhere. Will i travel the world? will I travel latin america with ben?

Moreover, will i continue my education?

that's probably the biggest question of all. Med school has always been on the horizon, then i started thinking about grad school in philosophy. lately i've been entertaining thoughts about fidning a neurology program that would allow me to do philosophy of mind. the logner i wait, the harder it will be: my MCAT will expire.

i came down here largely to find myself, and the process has begun, but certainly has a way to go still. i need to start thinking about my next moves. i hate to think about the future in general, but at this point in my life/trip some planning is clearly necessary.

No comments: