Wednesday, April 25, 2007

a busy news day

Here we go, in the order I heard:

1) Planet found roughly 20 light years away that could potentially support life

2) Boris Yeltisn died (fuck yeltsin. am I right?).

3) French fries give you cancer.

ok. so that was probably alot to handle, and I apologize if I shook your world a little there. Let's just focus on the last one for now.

Acoording to wikipedia, the reaction of asparagine (an amino acid) with reducing sugars under high heat creates acrylamide. acrylamide has long been known to be neurotoxic, which is why if you've ever done an SDS-PAGE in a bio class you wear gloves. apparently, it may also cause cancer.

Long story short, ANY FOOD that is browned during baking, overcooked or fried (and maybe even microwaved too) contains acrylamide. I guess fired potatoes are of particular concern because they are chock loaded with sugar.

Time for us all to make an important decision: what's more valuable to me? 50 years of eating fries and chips, or not going through 6 months of chemo.

Time for me to start saving up for the chemo.

No comments: