Sunday, April 22, 2007

Ideas

I like to read. I don't read for myself as often as I'd like; hopefully now that i'm graduating i'll finally ahve some time to really dig into some books. Still, when I'm home i like to hang out at bookstores and jsut flip through what I find, often spending hours in the philosophy section

Winter junior year (winter before last) I had the great idea of keeping a small notebook on me as often as possible. If you know me, then you know that I have an incredibly shitty memory for certain things, so I decided that having a book on hand would be great for jotting down ideas, to do lists, phone numbers, appointments, whatever.

One day last winter I was wandering through some philosophy at the local Borders (Barnes & Noble?) when I came across a book by a philosopher of mind I like a lot, Douglas Hofstaedter, the guy who wrote Godel, Escher, Bach and The Mind's I. Flipping through the book, I found a snippet where he tried to develop an account of what creativity is. I wrote a little diatribe on what came to mind in my notebook. If it were shorter, I'd write the whole thing out for ya. maybe some other time.

Either way, I found the notebook the other day and have begun using it again for some brainstorming related to end-of-the-year projects i'm working on. It's so packed that I've flipped it upside down and now am writing on the backsides of empty pages.

I need a new notebook. I want to revive the "have it on me at all tiems" policy. I like reading my old ideas, they're not bad.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I wonder if people think differantly when they write in a notebook verse typing on the internet...

Airencracken said...

Godel Escher Bach is a great book... and I think people do write differently when typing versus writing. Typing is too easy to edit. I know thats when when I write I do it by hand.