Tuesday, April 17, 2007

No Subject

So I'm kind of out of the loop at school. I don't watch tv so I don't see news briefs as the evening news is advertised. I don't really keep up with news online, although it's ony a click away. recently I started using firefox as my main browser, and i deliberately set the homepage in firefox to washingtonpost.com a while back(unlike the eMail homepage I have set for IE).

I'm going to try to keep up with the news more. yesterday morning a massacre occured at VA Tech, which is not far from my home outside DC. The shooter killed 33 people, making it the deadliest shooting by a single gunmen in US history and the worst school shotting as well.

To say the least I feel like the columbine post from a few days ago was in poor taste, although it did happen before the shooting. But in general I just feel terrible. I talked about being jaded before, but hearing about large amounts of people dying just strikes a nerve with me, and a school shooting in virginia feels almost personal.

Some of the vicitms are listed in the wikipedia article, and boy did it feel wierd looking through jsut to make sure i didn't know anyone.

I need to get some work done, i've been dwelling on this all morning. I feel like i'm disrespecting the dead by pushing my emotions away, like i'm giving them the cold shoulder or changing the channel mid-story. it doesn't matter, i have to TCB today; last night i ran into my professor/advisor at a bar, and i'd rather he not think i was unprepared for class because i was too busy partying.

maybe i'll watch elephant later tonight and really own my emotional reaction to this.

No comments: