Sunday, April 29, 2007

Procrastination

Hello. My name is David Marx, and I'm a compuslive procrastinator.
It's been a 6 hours since I last procrastinated, i'm jsut glad I finally got some work done tonight. I have a long tradition of not doing homework in general, turning things in late if at all. I stay afloat based on test grades and the fact that when I do produce my work is always of high quality. I'm graduating this year, which means I have a few days to wrap stuff up or I don't get a diploma.

This is a bad situation for a compulsive procrastinator like me. I'll often find myself on youtube, telling myself, "This is the last video, just one more and that's it!" an hour after telling myself the same line. Tonight I decided i needed to get away from my room if I was going to get some work done (my typical last resort strategy, and it usually works. wokred tonight too). So, I went to one of my favorite sanctuaries: the closed writing center. I work there, so I can get in when it's closed, giving me access to what's effectively a private library, complete with couches, tables, writing supplies, computers printers, and even free coffee. But get this: I'm such a clever little procrastinator, I even made a facebook event out of it, and spent at least 20 minutes working out the kinks in publishing the event and inviting people I thought might be doing work instead of partying tonight. Crazy huh?

Earlier tonight, when I was procrastinating hardcore (which is why I retreated to the writing center), I googled myself. I occasionally google old friends just to see what I find, and I usualy find plenty; if you've ever played a sport, even just in high school or maybe even middle school, chances are googleing your name will atl east pull up some stats and maybe a picture or two. But damnit, "David Marx" appears to be an incredibly common, and nerdy name.

Here's what some of the other DM's are doing out there:
* Photography Instructor
* A few musicians, one I KNOW sucks and another who lives in Tokyo!
* An Emergency physician who lives ~50 miles from me (what are the chances a firefighter and ER-MD with the same name live w/in 50 miles of each other?)
* A Lawyer
* A couple engineers (/professors)
* A chemistry professor
* A psychology professor
* A cinematographer
* last but not least, one of these turds took the amazon account "david marx" and posted his nickname as "mingieboy"
>>and that's just from the first 2 pages of hits.

what's your favorite procrastination strategy? cleaning your room? facebook? I've gotta say i'm pretty fond of the online TV.

Allright, time for bed. Good luck getting your stuff done!

No comments: